Yemen: Obama killed 16-year-old boy, now Trumpā€™s killed his eight-year-old sister

February 4, 2017
Issue 

In 2010 PresidentĀ ObamaĀ Ā to assassinate an American citizen in Yemen, Anwar al-Awlaki, despite the fact that he had never been charged with (let alone convicted of) any crime, and the agency successfully carried out that order a year laterĀ .

While that assassination created widespread debate ā€” the once-again-belovedĀ Ā fromĀ the assassination on the ground of due process and then, when that suit was dismissed,ĢżĀ ā€” another drone killing carried out shortly thereafterĀ was perhaps even more significant yet generated relatively little attention.

Two weeks after the killing of Awlaki, a separate CIA drone strike in YemenĀ , Abdulrahman, along with the boyā€™sĀ 17-year-old cousin and several other innocent Yemenis. The U.S. eventually claimed that the boy was not their target but merely ā€œcollateral damage.ā€ Abdulrahmanā€™s grief-stricken grandfather, Nasser al-Awlaki, urged the Washington Post ā€œto visitĀ ,ā€ which explained: ā€œLook at his pictures, his friends, and his hobbies. His Facebook page shows a typical kid.ā€

Few events pulled the mask off Obama officials like this one. It highlighted how the Obama administration was ravaging Yemen, one of the worldā€™s poorest countries: just weeks after he won the Nobel Prize,ĢżĀ that killed 35 Yemeni women and children. Even Obama-supporting liberal comedians mocked the arguments of the Obama DOJ for why it had the right to executeĀ Americans with no charges: ā€œDue Process Just Means Thereā€™s A Process That You Do,ā€Ā . And a firestorm erupted when former Obama press secretary Robert GibbsĀ Ā for killing the Colorado-born teenager, apparently blaming him for his own killing by saying he should have ā€œhad a more responsible father.ā€

The U.S. assault on Yemeni civilians not only continued but radically escalated overĀ the next five years through the end of the Obama presidency, as theĀ , supported, andĀ Ā to their close ally Saudi Arabia as itĀ Ā through aĀ . Yemen nowĀ ,Ģż, deliberately, by the U.S.-U.K.-supported air attacks. Because of the Westā€™s direct responsibility for these atrocities, they have receivedĀ Ā in the responsible countries.

In a hideous symbol of the bipartisan continuity of U.S.Ā barbarism,ĢżNasser al-Awlaki just lost another one of his young grandchildren to U.S. violence. On Sunday, the Navyā€™s SEAL Team 6, using armed Reaper drones for cover,ĢżĀ on what it said was a compound harboring officials of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula. A statement issued by President Trump lamented the death of an American service member and several others who were wounded, but made no mention of any civilian deaths. U.S. military officials initially denied any civilian deaths, and (therefore)Ā Ā said nothing about any civilians being killed.

But reports from YemenĀ Ā that 30 people were killed,Ģżincluding 10 women and children.Ā Among the dead: the 8-year-old granddaughter ofĀ Nasser al-Awlaki, Nawar, who was also the daughter of Anwar Awlaki.

“”²õĢżĀ ā€” who extensively interviewed the grandparents in Yemen for his book and film on Obamaā€™s ā€œDirty Warsā€ ā€” Ā the girl ā€œwas shot in the neck andĀ killed,ā€ bleeding to death over the course of two hours.Ā ā€œWhy kill children?ā€ the grandfatherĀ asked. ā€œThis is the new (U.S.) administration ā€” itā€™s very sad, a big crime.ā€

The New York TimesĀ Ā that military officials had been planning and debating the raid for months under the Obama administration, but Obama officials decided to leave the choice to Trump. The new president personally authorized the attack last week. They claim that the ā€œmain targetā€ of the raid ā€œwas computer materials inside the house that could contain clues about future terrorist plots.ā€ TheĀ paper cited a Yemeni official saying that ā€œat least eight women and seven children, ages 3 to 13, had been killed in the raid,ā€ and that the attack also ā€œseverely damaged a school, a health facility and a mosque.ā€

As my colleague Matthew ColeĀ Ā just weeks ago, Navy SEALĀ Team 6, for all its public glory, has a long history of ā€œā€˜revenge ops,ā€™ unjustified killings, mutilations, and other atrocities.ā€ And TrumpĀ Ā during the campaign to target not only terrorists but also their families. All of that demands aggressive, independent inquiries into this operation.

Perhaps most tragic of all is that ā€” just as was true in Iraq ā€” al Qaeda had very little presence in Yemen before the Obama administration began bombing and droning it and killing civilians, thusĀ . As the late, young Yemeni writer Ibrahim MothanaĀ 

Drone strikes are causing more and more Yemenis to hate America and join radical militants. ā€¦ Unfortunately, liberal voices in the United States are largely ignoring, if not condoning, civilian deaths and extrajudicial killings in Yemen.

During George W. Bushā€™s presidency, the rage would have been tremendous. But today there is little outcry, even though what is happening is in many ways an escalation of Mr. Bushā€™s policies. ā€¦

Defenders of human rights must speak out. Americaā€™s counterterrorism policy here is not only making Yemen less safe by strengthening support for AQAP [al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula] but it could also ultimately endanger the United States and the entire world.

This is why it is crucial that ā€” as urgent and valid protests erupt against Trumpā€™s abusesĀ ā€” we not permit recent history to be whitewashed, or long-standing U.S. savagery to be deceitfully depicted as new Trumpian aberrations, or the war on terror framework engendering these new assaults to be forgotten. Some current abuses are unique to Trump, but ā€” as IĀ Ā ā€” some are the decades-oldĀ byproduct ofĀ . Obscuring these facts, or allowing those responsible to posture as opponents of all this, is not just misleading but counterproductive: Much of this resides on an odious continuum and did not just appear out of nowhere.

Itā€™s genuinely inspiring to see pervasiveĀ rage over the banning of visa holders and refugees from countries like Yemen. But itā€™s also infuriating that the U.S. continues to massacre Yemeni civilians, both directly and through its tyrannical Saudi partners. That does not become less infuriating ā€” Yemeni civilians are not less dead ā€” because these policies and the war theories in which they are rooted began before the inauguration of Donald Trump. Itā€™s not just Trump but this mentality and framework that need vehement opposition.

You need Ā鶹“«Ć½, and we need you!

Ā鶹“«Ć½ is funded by contributions from readers and supporters. Help us reach our funding target.

Make a One-off Donation or choose from one of our Monthly Donation options.

Become a supporter to get the digital edition for $5 per month or the print edition for $10 per month. One-time payment options are available.

You can also call 1800 634 206 to make a donation or to become a supporter. Thank you.