Venezuela: Workers draft proposals for new labour law

February 5, 2012
Issue 

Cutting the working day to a maximum of seven hours, eliminating subcontracted work and raising maternity leave to a period of five months were some of the proposals put forward by thousands of workers across Venezuela for the country's new Labour Law, Socialist Bolivarian Workersā€™ Central president Will Rangel said on January 31.

Venezuelan workers have been mobilising across the country since President Hugo Chavez announced his government would overhaul the countryā€™s Labour Law (LOT). This came after a sustained campaign by workers to have the law changed.

Since January 20, meetings have been held throughout the country to encourage worker participation in the writing of the new law and to document their proposals.

ā€œFor the first time in history, a law will be produced from within the heart of the workers, [from] the private business owners who respect the Republicā€™s Constitution and from the presidentā€™s suggestions,ā€ Rangel said on Venezuelan state television channel VTV before the meetings began.

Speaking at a forum of more than 1500 workers from Maracay and 300 union delegates on January 30, Rangel said more than 11,000 proposals had been collected as a result of the country-wide meetings.

The proposals will be submitted to the presidential commission in charge of drafting the new law.

ā€œThis isnā€™t a law that is closed off and just linked to intellectuals ... here all sectors are participating,ā€ he said.

Rangel said Venezuelaā€™s new employment code will allow for the creation of legislation on various issues, including the formation of workersā€™ militias and voluntary work.

In relation to reducing the working day, he said it should not be viewed as simply ā€œworking lessā€, but as an opportunity to improve the quality of life and development of Venezuelan workers.

The Venezuelan Communist Party (PCV), which played a leading role in the campaign to have the law rewritten, also said it had been organising and collecting workersā€™ proposals since January 3.

Carlos Aquino, of the PCVā€™s central committee, said: ā€œThroughout the past few days the different regional forums and workshops have been advancing successfully.

ā€œUp until now we have managed to reach half of the countryā€™s states and we hope to have reached the rest by mid-February.ā€

Aquino said proposals would be formalised at the partyā€™s national meeting in Caracas, due to be held on February 25, and then submitted to the presidential commission.

ā€œIt will be a pinnacle moment for the great national offensive,ā€ Aquino said, ā€œculminating in March with the presentation of our proposals and suggestions to the president of the republic and other sectors of national life.ā€

The presidential commission is hoping to have the new law finalised by April and officially approved via presidential decree on May 1, to coincide with the international workersā€™ day.

[Reprinted from .]

You need Ā鶹“«Ć½, and we need you!

Ā鶹“«Ć½ is funded by contributions from readers and supporters. Help us reach our funding target.

Make a One-off Donation or choose from one of our Monthly Donation options.

Become a supporter to get the digital edition for $5 per month or the print edition for $10 per month. One-time payment options are available.

You can also call 1800 634 206 to make a donation or to become a supporter. Thank you.