New facial recognition database a civil liberties nightmare

October 26, 2018
Issue 
Facial recognition technology will have significant repercussions for democracy.

础叠颁鈥檚 Foreign Correspondent recently discussed China鈥檚 Social Credit system where, in the name of creating a safer society and enhancing national security, China has begun rolling out facial recognition technology. This technology is being linked up in an unprecedented way so that almost every minute of the day-to-day movements of all citizens can be monitored.

Facial recognition technology has enabled the Chinese government to create a system of social credit whereby those who behave well, eat well, avoid bad habits, exercise sufficiently and pay their bills on time are rewarded with cheap hotel deals, easy access to loans, access to employment prospects and the like.

Those with a low social credit score, on the other hand, can be subject to virtual home detention, with credit cards being cut off, access to social media being restricted, families being blacklisted if a person is seen as acting against the interests of the government and, in some cases, disappearances being reported.

If this sounds too much like science fiction, or you think that nothing like this could be contemplated in a liberal democracy like Australia, think again.

The Council of Australian Governments (COAG) last year agreed to the establishment of a National Facial Biometric Matching Capability, which will have access to all drivers鈥 licences in Australia, as well as visa, passport and citizenship photos. This huge biometric database will be available to state and federal security and law enforcement agencies.

The rationale for this very significant increase in the capacity for real-time government surveillance of most Australian residents is, of course, 鈥溾. 鈥

However, NSW Council of Civil Liberties (NSWCCL) fears that this development in mass surveillance capacity will, over time, have significant implications on the nature of our society and the robustness of our democracy. It will have a real impact on our privacy and other liberties that we have traditionally held dear.

These impacts are acknowledged by political leaders, but are seen as a necessary price to pay for safety and national security.

At this stage there is little detail as to how this increased surveillance capacity will work and what will be done to protect this huge trove of our鈥╬ersonal biometric data from hacking or misuse.

NSWCCL has joined with other civil liberties and privacy organisations to express deep concern at this new and significant expansion of surveillance capacity. It looks to us like a step too far.

A comprehensive national facial database is simply incompatible with a free society.

In an October 6, 2017 media , NSWCCL joined with allied organisations to 鈥渃ondemn the decision by [COAG] to provide all images from state and territory drivers鈥 licence databases to the federal National Facial Biometric Matching Capability鈥.

The point was made that the creation of such a comprehensive national facial database is an unnecessary and disproportionate invasion of the privacy rights of all Australians. It is the foundation for suspicion-less, warrantless mass surveillance and is fundamentally incompatible with a free and open society.

NSWCCL president Stephen Blanks said: 鈥淭he community does not yet understand the real implications of facial recognition technology and how fundamentally the way people can access public spaces like airports, sporting facilities and shopping centres will change.

鈥淲hen they understand the realities of this technology, people will be very concerned.鈥

Australian Privacy Foundation chair David Vaile said: 鈥淭his government has proven it is blind and deaf to privacy and personal information security threats.

鈥淢ake no mistake this database will affect all Australians, even the most conscientious and law-abiding.

鈥淲e鈥檝e already seen calls for 鈥榮cope creep鈥 to cover welfare enforcement, and there鈥檚 every reason to expect this capability will come to be used to identify people with unpaid fines and other minor issues that have nothing whatsoever to do with terrorism.鈥

Digital Rights Watch chair Tim Singleton Norton said: 鈥淭his is a gross overreach into the privacy of everyday Australian citizens, and will have huge impacts on the trust in government to manage this database.

鈥淲hat is urgently needed is proper consultation, evidence and debate - in parliament, with civil society and the public themselves.鈥

Queensland Council for Civil Liberties vice-president Angus Murray said: 鈥淭he protection of the Australian community is fundamentally important 鈥 however, this also includes the protection of Australians鈥 civil liberties and privacy.

鈥淸COAG鈥檚] agreement, and this continued scope creep, clearly highlights the need for the introduction of a tort of serious invasions of privacy and enforceable human rights legislation.

鈥淚t is incumbent on the parliament to ensure that [COAG鈥檚] agreement on the National Facial Biometric Matching Capability is demonstrably necessary, adequate and proportionate, and subject to proper public scrutiny.鈥

Electronic Frontiers Australia executive officer Jon Lawrence said the proposal amounted to 鈥渘othing less than a complete betrayal of a fundamental civil liberty of all Australians.

鈥淚f implemented, it will ensure that the presumption of innocence no longer has any effective meaning in this country,鈥 Lawrence said.

鈥淪uch an untargeted, mass surveillance database is just the latest attempt by governments to categorise everyone as potential suspects, not citizens.鈥

These organisations have called on all Australians concerned about the national facial recognition database to contact state/territory and federal parliamentarians to tell them that this initiative is an example of government overreach that is simply unacceptable.

I join them in this call.

[Pauline Wright is a civil libertarian, NSW Council of Civil Liberties vice president and a Law Council of Australia executive member. This is an extract from a talk Wright gave at Politics in the Pub in Sydney on September 20.]

You need 麻豆传媒, and we need you!

麻豆传媒 is funded by contributions from readers and supporters. Help us reach our funding target.

Make a One-off Donation or choose from one of our Monthly Donation options.

Become a supporter to get the digital edition for $5 per month or the print edition for $10 per month. One-time payment options are available.

You can also call 1800 634 206 to make a donation or to become a supporter. Thank you.