Iraq: Hundreds of Kurdish villagers flee Turkish bombs as jihadists take their homes

May 18, 2021
Issue 
Protesting Turkey's bombing of Kurds in Northern Iraq. Photo: ANF English

Hundreds of Kurdish villagers have been forced to flee their homes in the semi-autonomous Kurdistan region of Iraq due to Turkish bombing 鈥 and are being replaced by jihadists imported from Syria.

An agricultural worker from Barwari Bala in the mountainous Duhok province, which borders Turkey, told the Morning Star that he had abandoned his land and home due to the intensity of the aerial bombardment.

鈥淓very day, every night, for the past weeks we are being bombed. Our lands are being destroyed: we cannot grow our crops,鈥 he said.

鈥淣early all of us have left 鈥 there is nothing for us. Our future is being destroyed, and they give our homes to Daesh [Isis].鈥

鈥淲e are civilians: farmers, children. Why are they doing this? The world does nothing to help because we are Kurds. Everyone wants to kill us.鈥

He insisted that there had been no guerilla fighters in the villages 鈥 Turkey鈥檚 pretext for invasion 鈥 but added that the people supported the banned Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), which Turkey deems a terrorist group, as the only force preventing a genocide.

鈥淚f I see them, I hug them,鈥 he said. 鈥淲ithout them, Turkey would kill us all.鈥

Turkey鈥檚 illegal invasion of Iraqi Kurdistan, codenamed Operation Claw Lightning, started on April 23, the anniversary of the start of the Ottoman Armenian genocide in 1915, during which 1.5 million men, women and children were systematically exterminated.

As previously reported in the Morning Star, more than 2,000 jihadists have been enlisted to support the Turkish military operation as it struggles to cope with the fierce resistance of the guerilla fighters.

In October, Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK) co-chair Cemil Bayik reported that Islamist mercenaries were being trained in Turkey鈥檚 largely Kurdish south-eastern province of Sirnak.

And in the recent clashes, PKK fighters have reported that during close combat they have heard their adversaries speaking in Arabic.

鈥淭hese Islamists are wearing Turkish army uniforms,鈥 a source said. 鈥淭his is something we have seen in Idlib too,鈥 referring to the province in northern Syria where the extremists have their last stronghold.

KCK spokesman Zagros Hiwa said that the first steps are being taken to settle the Islamist mercenaries and their families in the village of Keste in the Metina area of Iraqi Kurdistan, where some of the heaviest fighting has taken place.

鈥淭he Turkish plan is to forcefully remove the Kurdish inhabitants of the village 鈥 this includes several Yezidi families who fled from Sinjar in 2014 during the attacks of the Islamic State.

鈥淭his plan is part of the general policy of Erdogan鈥檚 regime against the Kurds: ethnic cleansing and genocide,鈥 he said.

Mr Hiwa urged people to 鈥渢ake a stance against Turkey鈥檚 attacks鈥 to prevent a similar situation to that in Afrin in Syria, where 300,000 people have been internally displaced.

Turkey鈥檚 illegal operation is opposed by most forces in the region, including the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK), the Kurdistan Communist Party 鈥 Iraq, and the Iraqi Communist Party.

But the Kurdistan Democratic Party, the senior partner in the regional government, has come under criticism for its muted response, amid accusations of collusion with Ankara.

You need 麻豆传媒, and we need you!

麻豆传媒 is funded by contributions from readers and supporters. Help us reach our funding target.

Make a One-off Donation or choose from one of our Monthly Donation options.

Become a supporter to get the digital edition for $5 per month or the print edition for $10 per month. One-time payment options are available.

You can also call 1800 634 206 to make a donation or to become a supporter. Thank you.