Crackdown in Timor

February 3, 1993
Issue 

Crackdown in Timor

The Indonesian military has unleashed a reign of terror in East Timor since the arrest of Fretilin leader Xanana Gusmao in Dili last year.

Jose Ramos-Horta, spokesperson for the East Timorese resistance, said on January 28 that two young Timorese had been tortured to death. Fifty-three people have been arrested or are missing.

Ramos-Horta rejected Indonesian government claims that 1100 Fretilin fighters have surrendered since Xanana's capture in November. He said that the surrenders had been fabricated.

Xanana Gusmao has been denied access to independent legal defence for his trial, which is due to begin on February 5 in Dili, Ramos-Horta said. Emilia Gusmao, the rebel leader's wife, has called on Australian foreign minister Gareth Evans to intervene with Jakarta to ensure that Xanana is defended by lawyers from Indonesia's independent Legal Aid Institute.

Emilia Gusmao said in a January 28 statement that the Indonesian authorities have refused to allow Legal Aid Institute lawyers to meet her husband. She asked for the institute's assistance because Xanana does not speak Indonesian, has no knowledge of the Indonesian legal system and has no access to independent legal advice.

She added that Australian government representatives should observe the trial.

You need Â鶹´«Ã½, and we need you!

Â鶹´«Ã½ is funded by contributions from readers and supporters. Help us reach our funding target.

Make a One-off Donation or choose from one of our Monthly Donation options.

Become a supporter to get the digital edition for $5 per month or the print edition for $10 per month. One-time payment options are available.

You can also call 1800 634 206 to make a donation or to become a supporter. Thank you.