
Uncertainty and confusion now surround the Apex/Ormil coal seam gas (CSG) project in the Illawarra. The project includes 16 CSG wells scattered across two Petroleum Exploration Licences (PELs). But according to the project鈥檚 conditions, drilling and operation of the wells must take place within three years and before the expiry of one of two relevant licences, unless the director-general of the planning department steps in.
Stop CSG Illawarra has received confirmation from the Department of Planning and Infrastructure that the director-general has not stepped in. The relevant licences (PELs 442 and 444) expired in February and April this year. Despite this, the department has refused to confirm that the development approval for the 16 wells has expired.
In the midst of growing pressure from a big community campaign to stop CSG development, tensions between the gas companies involved have also surfaced. Ormil鈥檚 Managing Director Tom Fontaine blamed an 鈥渁dministrative oversight鈥 by Apex for the failure to lodge a renewal application for PEL 442.
Work on the project has halted since the community campaign was launched 15 months ago. In September last year, Apex鈥檚 Chief Operating Officer Chris Rogers blamed the 鈥減olitical climate鈥 for the delay. Fontaine told the June 20 Illawarra Mercury: 鈥淧rogress has been slowed by political conditions beyond our control.鈥
These political conditions include a persistent campaign from the community. Stop CSG Illawarra says it aims for an 鈥渋nformed and mobilised community鈥. The group has distributed more than 250,000 information leaflets and organised two of the largest protests in the region鈥檚 history. More than 3000 people took part in each of these events.
Every Stop CSG Illawarra event aims to involve more people in the campaign to build pressure on the NSW government. The group鈥檚 key demand is for a freeze on the industry until the findings of a Royal Commission are made public.
The group also calls for a ban on 鈥渇racking鈥 and has just launched a new petition calling for a ban on CSG mining in drinking water catchments.
Stop CSG Illawarra spearheaded a petition signed by nearly 25,000 people that was debated in NSW parliament in March this year. The petition was the basis for the group鈥檚 sustained outreach in suburbs of the Illawarra including community street stalls, doorknocking and social media.
Stop CSG Illawarra members have also spoken with other community groups, such as Rotary and Probus branches, the Illawarra Aboriginal Land Council, school classes and more.
In March, Stop CSG Illawarra organised the CSG Community Conference, which was held in Wollongong鈥檚 Town Hall. More than 500 residents attended the conference.
This intense community campaign has made CSG politically unviable in the Illawarra at this time. In October last year, Wollongong City Council unanimously voted to urge the NSW government to ban CSG in the region鈥檚 water catchments.
Local state MPs Ryan Park (Keira) and Lee Evans (Heathcote) have signed Stop CSG Illawarra鈥檚 petition for a freeze on the industry. Park has been particularly outspoken on the issue and pushed to change NSW Labor鈥檚 policy. Labor now supports a moratorium on CSG exploration and new projects.
But despite the uncertainty surrounding the project, the community is yet to hear confirmation that development approval has lapsed. Jess Moore, Stop CSG Illawarra spokesperson, said: 鈥淚t is astounding that the planning department cannot tell us if drilling can happen at this time.
鈥淢y driver's licence expires this month, and no amount of quibbling over the definition of 鈥榚xpiry鈥 will change this.
鈥淥f course, even if this project has lapsed, there are licences right across the Illawarra and new applications lodged. The community campaign to date has been strong enough to prevent new drilling. But it must continue and grow until we are satisfied our land and water is safe.鈥
Comments
Anonymous replied on Permalink