CFMEU stops heritage service sell off

September 9, 2016
Issue 

The Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) has scored a victory against the privatisation agenda of the state Coalition government after it abandoned plans to privatise the NSW Public Works Heritage Services, UnionsNSW announced on September 2.

About 40 stonemasons, scaffolders and roofers have been maintaining some of Sydney鈥檚 oldest buildings for more than 20 years, but in June last year Finance Minister Dominic Perrottet announced their jobs would be outsourced.

A very vocal, multifaceted campaign was run by the CFMEU workers. It included a petition signed by thousands of people, workers speaking to local council meetings and members of parliament from all sides being invited to visit the stonemasons and see their work first hand.

鈥淚t鈥檚 not just what we did, but the carry-on effects that we saw from our actions that I think made the difference,鈥 CFMEU organiser Paul Connell said. 鈥淎fter signing our petitions, people would tell their friends, their families. Everyone was supportive of our campaign.鈥

The union campaigned around the workers鈥 unique skills and the loss if their jobs were privatised.

鈥淭he private sector doesn鈥檛 have the resources to train the next generation. Our heritage would be destroyed if it wasn鈥檛 for these workers,鈥 Connell said. 鈥淣SW Public Works Heritage Services needs to be maintained into the future especially as more and more work needs to be done.鈥

Like the article? Subscribe to 麻豆传媒 now! You can also us on Facebook and on Twitter.

You need 麻豆传媒, and we need you!

麻豆传媒 is funded by contributions from readers and supporters. Help us reach our funding target.

Make a One-off Donation or choose from one of our Monthly Donation options.

Become a supporter to get the digital edition for $5 per month or the print edition for $10 per month. One-time payment options are available.

You can also call 1800 634 206 to make a donation or to become a supporter. Thank you.